Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 pm

[360] Opening your xbox 360.

Ok, this isn't a first hand tutorial, most of the information is collected from other sites.
If you need further assistance, ask and we shall help ;)
-Materials
-Steps
-Credits
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*DISCLAIMER* If you follow this tutorial to a T, you shouldn't have any problems. But stuff happens, so me nor any other member on the brewology network will be held for your dumb mistakes. We will try to help you, but we are not responsible for the end result. So on with the tutorial. Also this does VOID YOUR WARRANTY, so if it overheats after you have taken apart your xbox, you will not be able to send it in under warranty to get it fixed.

What is this for?

This guide is essentially a strait-forward tutorial on one of the most basic know-how you will need to know in how to mod your xbox 360. This is basically the starting point for any hardware mod. This is also my first tutorial, if anything needs to be clarified please ask.

Materials

You will need for this:
-3 Torx screwdrivers of the following size: T6, T7, & T12 (Or one screwdriver with interchangeable bits)
*Edited 9/30/09 - Most xbox's now require a T10 for everything except a T8 which is required only to remove the x-clamp screws if you need to remove your motherboard*
-A flathead screwdriver that is small and thin (used to pry some clips open, the Team Xecuter tool will work also, located here)
-A 2 inch long and thin (roughly 1.5mm thick) metal stick
-A 2 inch long and flat (less than 1mm thick) plastic or metal stick
-A pair of thin pliers (For removing the heat sinks)
I highly suggest you to get a Team Xecuter tool to substitue for all the "prying tools" needed. It will save you some heartache and pain, along with greatly reducing the risk you scratching your console or cracking it.

Steps

1. Of course, first step would be to remove the face plate. Simply insert your thumb into the door that covers the two USB ports on the right of the unit. With your other hand squeezing the upper and lower sides of the face plate, pull out the face plate with your thumb. With not much force, the face plate should pop right off.

2. Now you should be looking at a small silver Microsoft sticker covering a gap, go ahead and rip it off. You will also see four small clips locking the top half of the plastic shell to the bottom half. Do not attempt to wedge the clips out at this point.

3. Ok, now looking at the front of the xbox, on it's side with the rubber pads facing down, gently bend the gray ventilation thing far enough so you can see a little bit of the inside. You will notice that it has clips that connects it to the top and body white side pieces. Just look through the top little holes and you will see about 3 little Grey clips evenly spaced out. Just use a little small and sturdy metal pole (no pun intended) and push out the little tabs on both the top and bottom, with a total of 6 tabs(from what I can see). The gray piece will come right out.

4. So, to remove the left it is basically the same. Locate the tabs and push them in and pop it off. For this one however, you need to remove the rubber feet. (I'll try and find a better description for this step on another tutorial)

5. Once both gray pieces have been removed, it's quite easy. Just return to the front of the unit and turn the entire unit upside down. Using the flathead screwdriver just pry the 4 tabs on the left above the video port from the side, and lift it about an inch. Insert a thin and small plastic stick into the thin rectangular holes on the rear. The reason the front of the bottom shell needs to be lifted is to prevent the rear latches from reattaching themselves. Slowly insert the stick into each rectangular opening. You should hear a click sound for each clamp you unlatch. Once complete, you may lift off the bottom shell covering.- Italicized part directly from anandtech.

6.After the bottom half has been removed, you are now looking at a large metal looking box. There are 14 silver screws(6 of them are long) and 8 black screws. Use a T12 torx to remove the silver ones and the T7 to remove the black ones. Once done flip the xbox back over and remove the plastic shell. You are now looking at the inards of your xbox 360 :)

7. Next would be disassembling the guts. This is pretty strait forward so I won't go into to much detail. Basically unplugging stuff. First you need to lift up the DVD drive, and remove the 2 cords from it (One is power, and other is SATA, which will be shown in the picture). Also remove the cords from the motherboard.

8. To remove the fan shroud all you need to do is twist the cover until it comes off. It is simply held down by one little clip on the fans them selfs, so be sure not to break the clip.

9. Now to remove the ring of light, just use a T6 torx screwdriver to unscrew the black screws. Then you need to remove the white plastic covering by detaching the 2 top and bottom clips that hold it into place. This will then reveal the 3rd screw holding it into place. Remove the last screw and pull off the unit. You can also now unplug the power connector for the fans. You can now lift the motherboard from the chassis ;)

-Removing the heat sinks

10. Now to remove the heat sinks. This is the part that takes a lot of patience as not to break anything. go ahead and flip over the motherboard, and you will see 2 claps in the shape of an X. Just take the pliers and gently lift off 2 of the corners. on the same sides. After this is done the clamp will easily be able to be removed by hand and will in most cases come off like a spring. (This will need to be done to both clamps, so in all you will use the pliers on 2 corners a piece, for a total of 4 corners).

11. Next all you need to do is flip over the motherboard and pull out both heat sinks. This will reveal the gpu on cpu (the cpu is the one with the rather large heat sink, the gpu is the one with the wide and short heat sink, most older cpu heat sinks have the copper core going through it). Congratulations! You now have a fully disassembled Xbox 360.

Credits
This tutorial has been greatly reproduced from the following website:
http://www.anandtech.com
A link to the specific tutorial can be found here:
http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdo ... i=2610&p=3
I tried to dumb the tutorial down pretty low, and will include pictures of myself performing some actions that may be unclear in the descriptions.

This is pretty much done, I will still be working on it some more in the future. If you need any clarification please ask.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.