will a card from another console work?

<<

pumastar

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 am

will a card from another console work?

hiya
i just been offered a sd card from another machine, my question is will it work in my wii if its the same firmware or another firmware? also i dont have the twilight disk so would the card be useless
my firmware 3.3e
as you can see im a newbie at this stuff

cheers john (uk)
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Sun May 03, 2009 2:58 pm

The card that you use doesn't matter as long as the contents needed for homebrew are put on the card properly.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

pumastar

Post Thu May 07, 2009 5:10 am

my wii

ok so your've saying if the card works ok in another console it should work ok in mine without the need for the TWILIGHT DISK-
and will play my game-backup ok. so if i copied the contents from this card to another it would work ok.

cheers john(uk)
<<

punkelias

Young Brewer

Post Thu May 07, 2009 7:01 am

If you have the homebrew channel installed and the cIOS needed, yes.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:18 pm

The SD card is only used to store homebrew applications you want to run. In order to play backup games or run homebrew you will have to modify the Wii itself. Just poping in the SD card will do nothing.

Read the beginners guide in the tutorials section so you can learn a little about what's going on. Then do some searching for softmod guides to learn what exactly you need to do.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

Juzamdjinn

Young Brewer

Post Thu May 07, 2009 10:23 pm

brentbizzle wrote:The SD card is only used to store homebrew applications you want to run. In order to play backup games or run homebrew you will have to modify the Wii itself. Just poping in the SD card will do nothing.

Wrong, the SD card is used to load every application needed to run homebrew and backups. Depending on what applications are left on the SD you can possibly use it for anything you need. There is no need to "modify" the Wii to play backups.

And the word you are looking for is "popping" not "poping"

Hope this helped......
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri May 08, 2009 2:41 am

Juzamdjinn wrote:
brentbizzle wrote:The SD card is only used to store homebrew applications you want to run. In order to play backup games or run homebrew you will have to modify the Wii itself. Just poping in the SD card will do nothing.

Wrong, the SD card is used to load every application needed to run homebrew and backups. Depending on what applications are left on the SD you can possibly use it for anything you need. There is no need to "modify" the Wii to play backups.

And the word you are looking for is "popping" not "poping"

Hope this helped......

If what you said really worked then why can't I just copy an image of a game to my sd card and "pop" it into my Wii and play the game without any modification? You sir, are wrong. Maybe you should read the topic more before you try and accuse someone of making a wrong statement when you are wrong yourself. If all you can contribute to the community is false information and grammar tips then why are you here?

To answer his original question, which brent did accurately, yes that SD card the author is referring to would be useless unless he modifies his Wii in some way that allows it to run homebrew applications so that he could install the homebrew channel.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Juzamdjinn

Young Brewer

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:34 am

I was somewhat wrong, but not completely. Brent states that the SD card is ONLY used to store homebrew apps, which is false. The SD card can be used to modify your Wii to run homebrew and backup games, depending upon which programs and applications are on the card. You would also need a factory copy of Twilight Princess. Those are the only two things needed, and a working knowledge of the process.

To answer the OP's question, yes the SD card is useless to you without the Twilight disc, and any firmware at 3.4 or below can currently be used.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 am

You need to stop taking what he said out of context. A SD card can be used for a lot of things, among which it can be used to store homebrew apps and modify your Wii. Brent knows what it's uses are, and he did not mean what you are saying. So stop trying to make him sound wrong based off one grammar error that you are trying to bend to make yourself sound correct.

Using your method of logic then you are still somewhat wrong stating that brent is false. Brent is only "somewhat wrong" as well, if your comment that I replied to is somewhat wrong. So stating that he is false means that you are still somewhat wrong in that assumption.

Maybe you should have answered the authors question in your first post instead of creating nonsense. Next time either don't start useless bickering about another users post that was already understood or don't post at all.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Fri May 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Juzamdjinn, if you really want to get THAT technical, then fine... time for some schooling.

Technically, you don't even need an SD card to install the homebrew channel. If you have system version 3.2 and the ability to play backups (i.e. a modchip installed), then you can download a special Trucha Signed disc that autoboots and will install the Homebrew Channel straight from the DVD.

But commonly yes, the SD card is used to modify, but only because it STORES the files necessary to do so. The only way to boot those files requires something on the Wii itself.

The fact is pumastar obviously doesn't know this much detail about the whole situation, which is why I phrased my response the way I did. Instead of trying to make yourself look good, stick to answering questions and being helpful.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

andose88

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sun May 17, 2009 3:50 pm

Yep

Tellem Brent!!!
One Day, We Will Meet Again... Next Time Bring Some Breathmints.

Return to Nintendo Wii/Wii U