Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Help Needed for Newbie

<<

wackojacko99

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:14 am

Help Needed for Newbie

Hello people, please be kind for my first post!
I've been looking over all the guides and there's a lot of things that currently go over my head, although I'm quite computer literate so should be able to grasp things in time.

I noticed a load of guides for already modded Wii's but I'm very wary of modding my Wii, as I've been scaremongered by the phrase 'Brick the Wii'

My first question is, to what extent can you 'brick it?' Is it repairable, obviously if someone solders it wrong, then that would really fluff it but what about updates that I hear about in games? once that update is installed, is it completly useless

Secondly I've heard about a way that we will be able to load backed up games without modding the Wii? What's happening on this? Prehaps a link to a thread about it?

Lastly, the biggest question.

If I decide to mod my Wii, software or hardware, what are the DO'S & DONT'S.

Is there something I should never go on, and equally something I should download and get.

Sorry if this is a dupe post, I have read the rules and I have searched for simular posts. Although not in 'dummies' way of explaining it. If i've done something wrong hereon my post please point out, so I wont do it next time?

Thank You Everyone
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm

I will try to answer some of your questions, although I do think more searching and reading is in order for you. Mind you, everything I know has just been from scouring forums and news postings, then trying things out for myself. That and I've been on the Wii scene since it started up.

If playing backups is your goal for the Wii, I highly suggest modifying it with a soldered chip. There are no solder solutions out there like the Wii-clip or whatever it's called, but the general consensus in the moding community is that these are not good permanent solutions as there is the possibility for it to shift or move out of place. The best thing to do is solder the sucker down, and depending on what model your Wii is, it could be very easy. My suggestion would be to check out the Wii serial tracker (just google it) and see what chip you have in your Wii, and from there you can decide what path you are going to take.

For bricking, there are some ways now to fix it depending on how you have done it. One thing that has come out is BootMii (I think thats the right name). This puts some code on your Wii that is activated very early in the boot process (when you turn your Wii on). All the system software for the Wii is later on down the boot line, so if you do manage to mess it up, this nifty string of code will allow you to boot something off an SD card, to fix whatever you have done. There is also a slew of various Wii utilities to fix damage you have caused to your Wii.

The best tool is prevention. Semi-bricks seem slightly common, full bricks are very rare. I even semi-bricked my Wii back in the day, but a system update fixed it. My semi-brick was caused by an update on a Japanese game I ran in my US Wii. I wasn't able to access my system menu. All these semi-bricks have come about from people running out of region updates. Simple rule, don't run an update unless it was designed for your Wii's region. There are utilities out there to rip out updates and keep your Wii safe.

There is a backup loader that is out now that allows backups to be run without the need for a modchip. I don't know much about this since I have a modchip. You'll have to wait for someone else to get back to you on this.

Going back to moding, and to try and answer your final question, there really are no do's and don't's. My suggestion is don't buy more than you need. There are a great number of modchips out there for Wii. The reason for this is because there are diiferent versions. DMS, D2A, D2B, D2B with missing pad, D2B with clipped legs, D2C, D2C2 (A D2C marked Wii, but different than D2C). Buy a modchip that is suitable for YOUR Wii. Check the Serial tracker. If you want extra piece of mind then get a tri-wing screwdriver and open up your Wii to see exactly what you are dealing with. If you've got a DMS, D2A, D2B, then you have one of the most compatible systems, and you are fine using an older modchip which costs a lot less than the newer ones. Of course, you would have had to buy your Wii last year or very early this year for one of these models.

Hope this helps.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:28 am

The backup loader without a cheap is a simple solution if you don't want to open up your Wii. The major downside to this right now is the loader has a decent amount of compatibility issues with some games, and the loader is not 100% full speed. The loading takes a good amount longer than a normal Wii disc. This is because one of the tools used in the backup loader (DVDX) only reads the DVD's at 3x (not sure what the normal speed is). Most games I have tried are more than playable just have longer load times and videos have some stuttering. This will get better as time goes by.

Right now a chip is the quickest easiest way to get backups to work. I have a chip and am horrible at soldering and have noone to do it, so soft modding is my only solution at the moment until I find someone to solder for me.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

wackojacko99

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:39 am

Thanks BrentBizzle for that personal reply. I have posted the same message in 2 other forums and have been shouted at, but the problem is I don't understand what some of the people mean.

I am in the same boat as you Justin. Like hell am I going to do my own soldering. Justin, have you found the backup loader, a good enough solution? or is it impractical?

Where have you got your backup loader?

I'm going to search the threads now on how to get homebrew onto my Wii
<<

wackojacko99

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 am

wackojacko99 wrote:Thanks BrentBizzle for that personal reply. I have posted the same message in 2 other forums and have been shouted at, but the problem is I don't understand what some of the people mean.

I am in the same boat as you Justin. Like hell am I going to do my own soldering. Justin, have you found the backup loader, a good enough solution? or is it impractical?

Where have you got your backup loader?

I'm going to search the threads now on how to get homebrew onto my Wii

*Update*
Sorry, after about 30 seconds of searching i've found the backup loader. I don't trust myself using this yet, so I'm going to wait until it's more 'out there'
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:21 pm

I believe most discs normally spin at 6x. This was a huge issue in the beginning of the whole Wii chipping scene because all chips (when there was only wiinja, Cyclowiz, and wiikey) could only spin at 3x causing WarioWare videos to stutter.

Depending on your Wii version, it could be very easy to solder. My Wii was the first thing I ever soldered on. I bought a cheap iron from Radioshack, practiced for a bit on an old lan card, then opened up my Wii the next day. The older Wiis (DMS, D2A, D2B) are all cake to solder to. They only require 5 wires, and the points are spread out enough that with enough patience you can do it. Again, I'm no electronics wiz... I just took my time and was able to do it. I do admit it took a lot of balls to open up my Wii and start soldering, especially since I got my Wii on the second release day, waiting outside the store for 7 hrs to get it. But hey, no pain, no gain.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm

The loader isn't ideal at this point. I still use it only because I am horrible at soldering. I have an original Wii which is only 6 wires with the Wiikey and it still freaks me out to do it. I opened the Wii, but the points are so small.

The loader should get better in the following months. All they need is a way to run DVDX at 6x instead of 3x.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!

Return to Nintendo Wii/Wii U