Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Need advise on a PS2 Slim and modding...

<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:28 am

Need advise on a PS2 Slim and modding...

I am getting a new PS2 Slim from BestBuy. They state the model available is: Model: 97060.

I'd like to get some advice from those that have modded their PS2 in order to play backup games and etc. My only goal here is to play backup games. So I need to know if the above model is perfect for this, as well if it will support Mod-Chips and etc.

I've done a bit or research and have read that these three Mod chips are popular: (The below description was quoted from another site..)

1. Mars Pro GM-816HD - This is the single best chip on the market. Multiple grounding points for noise reduction; plenty of flash for on-chip utilities; incredibly stable on ALL VERSIONS of PS2 including the newest SCPH-90006. Updated website with Hi-Res install diagrams.
  2. Duo3 Ultra - Very nice little chip for a very reasonable amount of money. Very Stable on V1-V17 consoles, but has minor stability issues with V18 (SCPH-9000X). Updated website with install diagrams.
  3. Modbo 4.0 - Solid chip, but a little overpriced given the comparable performance of the Duo3 Ultra for less than Half the money. Experiences stability problems on V18 consoles, especially when playing backup PS1 games. Performs well on V1-V17.

Please let me know if I am in the right path to this, or if there is something better to use. Thanks in advance.
Stylin' with a "Phat" PSP CFW: 5.00 M33-6 w/Kernel 150 add-on 5.00
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 am

Okay, yesterday I bought two used PS2 consoles from ebay. One is a Fat PS2 and the other one is a Slim PS2. I decided to get used consoles since the chances that they will come with more accessories and also extra games. I got some good deals on both of them. Bundling them together it cost me almost as what I would have paid for a brand new Slim PS2.

I did this also because I read that the newest Slim PS2's have problems with MOD Chips.

So if anyone can point me to sites where they offer homebrew apps, instructions and tutorials on Modding PS2s, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:55 am

Okay, the responses have been a few... lol. My guess nobody who has read this post knows how to help me. So would it be okay if I can later update you on what I end up doing to meet my goal?
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:23 am

Sorry Jay-Jay, I wish I could help but I don't know anything about PS2 hacking :(
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:17 pm

HAAAAA how lucky are you!!!!! i JUST did mine like yesterday!

if only we had ps2 brew.....

i used a guys video that hacks it without a mod chip and how to patch games (i used a slim also)
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Sorry, but I softmodded my PS2 phat. Can't really help you unless you change your mind.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:28 pm

its really easy on slim. do u want the video- or just the instructions and link to stuff? i swear it works- cuz im playing GT4 and sniper elite no issue TOP OPEN
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:00 pm

That's okay guys. At least you guys replied, which that counts a lot.

I did succeed in modding my two phat and slim PS2 consoles. I guess you can call it soft-modding, since there is no need to open them up and solder a chip nor having to do that slim hack where you have to fix the CD tray and etc.

What I did was find someone that was selling Modded PS2 memory cards with MCBOOT. I found a guy that was selling them cheap online. Bought one. It works great as long as you patch any ISO with ESR before burning it -- which takes 1 second do to so. Burn the ISO to a DVD-R and then just make sure your memory card installed with MCBOOT is on slot 1, and voila, the screen starts flashing pretty colors and you play your backup game.

Please feel free to ask me questions or PM me if you need any help.

Now with the single modded memory card, I was able to use it to mod more memory cards using a USB memory card. Now both my consoles can play backup games. Plus I can take this card with me to visit a friend that has a PS2 and it will work.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:56 pm

I love you Jay-Jay. Sorry I missed your topic! :(

We're still on for our date right??

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:I love you Jay-Jay. Sorry I missed your topic! :(

We're still on for our date right??

-DarkPacMan77-

Huh? I don't get it! Drugs are bad my friend. :? :?:
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I'd have helped you out if I had seen this but then I was reading through and you already got it lol

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 am

Jay-Jay wrote:That's okay guys. At least you guys replied, which that counts a lot.

I did succeed in modding my two phat and slim PS2 consoles. I guess you can call it soft-modding, since there is no need to open them up and solder a chip nor having to do that slim hack where you have to fix the CD tray and etc.

What I did was find someone that was selling Modded PS2 memory cards with MCBOOT. I found a guy that was selling them cheap online. Bought one. It works great as long as you patch any ISO with ESR before burning it -- which takes 1 second do to so. Burn the ISO to a DVD-R and then just make sure your memory card installed with MCBOOT is on slot 1, and voila, the screen starts flashing pretty colors and you play your backup game.

Please feel free to ask me questions or PM me if you need any help.

Now with the single modded memory card, I was able to use it to mod more memory cards using a USB memory card. Now both my consoles can play backup games. Plus I can take this card with me to visit a friend that has a PS2 and it will work.

thats my set up, only i ddid it myself with the slim disc tray mod and Bond AUF hot swap trick
<<

Jay-Jay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks guys, if anyone ever needs help with this, let me know.

Now I am off to find PS2 backup sites.. if you know any good ones.. PM me.
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:09 am

Glad it all worked out. I love happy endings.

Return to PS3 Help