new PS3

<<

segaman40

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: new PS3

Hi Cypherous

I have been looking through this post and I wondered whether I might muscle in and beg some advice too? My situation is that I have one of the older fat PS3 consoles, the firmware is 3.41. I bought a dongle to utilize Jailbreak. Everything works OK but at Christmas I bought two new games and wanted to install those too but the console wanted to upgrade the firmware, thereby rendering the jailbrake inoperative, so I resisted.

Whilst not stupid, I'm not too clued up regarding the more technical aspects, looking at the various posts, on various sites, there are many abbreviations used that don't mean a lot to me. So again, with regard to this thread, should I too move up to a higher firmware, I'm not concerned about not having the 'PSbreak v1.2' should I upgrade, I'm just looking for a way of playing some of the later games such as the two I bought at Christmas which were Splatterhouse and Gran Turismo.

You refer to a couple of tutorials earlier in the post and I have not as yet looked at these, so if the answer is go look there, then thats what I will do. I just want to know whether there is any way of being able to play newer games and install them on my internal HDD as I do now?

Many thanks
<<

Cypherous

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 24 times

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:19 am

Ask away,

From what i remember GT5 uses 3.55 which you can use if you use the same method of updating as the guy above, you'll be able to skip using the dongle at all aswell as a bonus, if its not something you want to do then there are alternatives, if you backup the game to the HDD you can mod the .sfo file with a different version and if you download one of the 3.41 patched eboots you'll be able to play the game, not sure about splatterhouse as never used it but i assume the same thing would apply to that aswell if it needs 3.55 :)

For this message the author Cypherous has received thanks:
segaman40
<<

segaman40

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am

OK, thanks for that. Not sure what you mean when you refer to 'modifying the .sfo file, and to then download a'3.41 patched eboot' (hence why I say above about there being various abbreviations that I don't understand). However, knowing that I can upgrade to 3.55 as you advised the previous enquirer, will do just fine for me, many thanks again.
<<

Cypherous

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 24 times

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 pm

segaman40 wrote:OK, thanks for that. Not sure what you mean when you refer to 'modifying the .sfo file, and to then download a'3.41 patched eboot' (hence why I say above about there being various abbreviations that I don't understand). However, knowing that I can upgrade to 3.55 as you advised the previous enquirer, will do just fine for me, many thanks again.

hehe well i'll explain a little i guess.

In each PS3 game you'll see a fail called param.sfo, it tells the PS3 various bits of information about the game including what version of firmware it needs to run, you can download a tool to edit this so you can change it from 3.55 to 3.41 and it won't ask you to update to play, however in 3.55 they changed some of the encryption keys which meant you couldn't just change that and play the game.

Each game has an EBOOT.BIN file which basically is like a windows .exe file (its more technical than that but for ease of explaining) each one of these requires the right encryption key to open, think of it like a password for running it, 3.41 doesn't know the new encryption key so the game will just error out, a patched eboot is one thats already been decrypted with the right keys and will run on an older firmware version.

Please feel free to correct anything i got wrong its just a basic explaination :)

For this message the author Cypherous has received thanks: 2
crait, segaman40
<<

segaman40

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:11 am

Thanks for everything, Cypherous, I appreciate your time and patience, and of course for the benefit of your knowledge.
Regards
<<

Skelator03

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 19 times

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 am

even with bc no way i know as of yet to run backups
Previous

Return to PS3 Help