<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Organic Food

What's the deal with it? Does anyone here prefer organic food opposed to average food that contains almost exactly the same nutritional value or more sterile? Anyone have a mom or dad that only buys it for themselves? I don't know anyone who does, but there's quite a lot of people on the chicken forum I get on and it seems like the site is divided on the subject. What are your opinions?
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:55 am

Re: Organic Food

we can't afford organic food. I don't think it's worth the extra cost cause it does taste the same. My concern is with the genetic modified food. It is my understanding that the modifications are not stable in other words the DNA of modified corn varies from kernel to kernel from the same ear. This is worth looking into but I don't really see much on it so genetic food is a big "?" in my book.

Yea I still eat it tho, can't afford to eat anything else.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:13 am

Neither myself nor anyone I know buys organic food exclusively. I don't really see any reason to, that outweighs the cost and nutritional value compared to normal food. I eat a lot of my own vegetables from my garden as well as any deer I can get my hands on though, I think it tastes way better then what you can buy in the store :D
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:33 am

organic. hmm. because all this time the food wever been eating is made from things randomly spawned or grown in a tube or something? -__- seriously, organic is the DUMBEST thing ive ever seen besides hybrids.

basically, organic means no pesticides where used on the food. shouldnt be labeled organic, it should be labeled no pesticide. seriously. stupid clueless twits.
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:27 am

Airplanes, I agree. It's a sham. Giving it the name of 'organic' implies a whole new meaning besides what it actually is meant to mean. It's a gimmick and people are giving.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

I don't think some of you understand what organic means.

Organic food means no pesticides and no genetic modification and in the end no radiation either.

So if you don't trust any of those processing methods and you can afford it then organic is the way to go for you.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Actually, Que, a lot of companies will still label their food as organic if they only use 'organic' pesticides. (Which a lot of pesticides are.) The word isn't defined anywhere as an exact definition when it comes to food, so it's not really something people can sue if the word is misused. While most of the time they are using the definition that Que provided, but a lot of companies will have only minor changes to the way their food is prepared and still use the label because no one will stop them.
<<

shadox

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:45 pm

i was vegan all this year up until i had to get surgery a month ago (due to obvious reasons). organic food is the way to go. all this chemially engineered crap is what is making america so obese. infact, many organic foods don't even meet my standards. although in college, my dormmates made fun of me for being vegan, they grew accustomed to it and when i let them try what i would eat, they'd enjoy some of the food more than the crap that they were living on. nobody understands the change your body feels when it eats such foods.

think of it this way. way back in the day, what did people live on (like native americans)? they didn't chemically engineer food but instead had a healthy diet of greens and vegetables. you didn't see them dying from clogged arteries and having every sort of cancer.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm

shadox wrote:all this chemially engineered crap is what is making america so obese.

McDonalds and Burger King. Doesn't Chicago have like a 3 story McDonalds somewhere? Or I know there is one somewhere in the US, which is pretty sad. I haven't had any fast food though in quite some time (year or two) unless you consider things like salads from wendys fast food, I already feel better :D

Although I still have concluded things from my garden, as well as animals I raise/kill myself taste so much better then ANYTHING I've bought.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 pm

Well, I'll tell you one thing is for sure, genetically modifying plants has effects that make them bigger and include natural pesticides so you don't have to use chemicals on them. This doesn't make America fat. People always want to put the blame on something else. It's overeating that is doing it. Like Ace said, it's McDonald's and Burger King and the other places that don't care about the way they prepare the food. Taco Bell buys its meat for $0.02 a pound. Why? Because they put in filler. That's what drug sellers do: They put in filler. Add in a few grams of salt into a big thing of cocaine and dang, you got a few more grams of cocaine to sell.
<<

shadox

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:08 pm

crait wrote:Well, I'll tell you one thing is for sure, genetically modifying plants has effects that make them bigger and include natural pesticides so you don't have to use chemicals on them. This doesn't make America fat. People always want to put the blame on something else. It's overeating that is doing it. Like Ace said, it's McDonald's and Burger King and the other places that don't care about the way they prepare the food. Taco Bell buys its meat for $0.02 a pound. Why? Because they put in filler. That's what drug sellers do: They put in filler. Add in a few grams of salt into a big thing of cocaine and dang, you got a few more grams of cocaine to sell.

have you seen how serving sizes have grown bigger over the past few years? if it's overeating that make people fat, then self control is at an all time low. i'd say it's more food that makes people fat, all the extra sugar and calories that are now added to food to make it taste better.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:21 pm

shadox wrote:i was vegan all this year up until i had to get surgery a month ago (due to obvious reasons).
Not obvious to me. You gave up meat and milk and then required an operation?
shadox wrote: nobody understands the change your body feels when it eats such foods.

I don't want to sound like I am poking fun but when I eat a vegetarian meal my body demands meat or something of me afterward.
shadox wrote:think of it this way. way back in the day, what did people live on (like native americans)? they didn't chemically engineer food but instead had a healthy diet of greens and vegetables. you didn't see them dying from clogged arteries and having every sort of cancer.
Umm, Native Americans knew nothing of physiology. Cancer has been known since at least the Renaissance period when people decided it was ok to do autopsies in the name of science/discovery, Native Americans had no interest in this endeavor. I imagine cancer has always been around, I also imagine that there were no chemicals or genetically modified anything in the 16th century and people still got tumors(cancer).

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:24 pm

shadox wrote:
crait wrote:Well, I'll tell you one thing is for sure, genetically modifying plants has effects that make them bigger and include natural pesticides so you don't have to use chemicals on them. This doesn't make America fat. People always want to put the blame on something else. It's overeating that is doing it. Like Ace said, it's McDonald's and Burger King and the other places that don't care about the way they prepare the food. Taco Bell buys its meat for $0.02 a pound. Why? Because they put in filler. That's what drug sellers do: They put in filler. Add in a few grams of salt into a big thing of cocaine and dang, you got a few more grams of cocaine to sell.

have you seen how serving sizes have grown bigger over the past few years? if it's overeating that make people fat, then self control is at an all time low. i'd say it's more food that makes people fat, all the extra sugar and calories that are now added to food to make it taste better.

Yes, I have seen how serving sizes have grown bigger since the fast food industry got it's start, and they are huge compared to what they used to be, or at least all the adults that have made remarks about it that I have heard seem to make it out like that. Bigger serving sizes = more overeating. Media = making it seem like it's okay to eat all this food = loss in self control.
<<

shadox

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:51 pm

que, i have had medical issues since last year and have undergone surgery for internal problems not dealing with my eating habits (it was a planned procedure that i needed done). trying to recover on a vegan diet would be an extremely long recovering time, lacking all the protein and fat in meat to help get your body on track quickly.

and vegetarian meals? like salad? your body is used to getting meat, and one of my friends that went vegan recently said the same thing. that was until i introduced him to all the different kind of foods out there that fill in the gaps (tofu of variations and other supplements). hell, when my friends are over and are hungry (that are meat eaters), they make tofu sausage sandwiches with veggie cheese. they prefer those sandwiches compared to the regular stuff. in fact, my mom recently switched from eating regular ground meat burgers to eating veggie burgers after i introduced her to them.. she prefers the taste and loves how the calories are sliced compared to a regular burger (not to mention only eats whole wheat now as well).
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Shadox, that might have worked for a few people you know but it isn't true for all people >.< I know I certainly would rather eat real meat over tofu any day. It just isn't the same to me, I don't see how something posing as meat could taste better then the real thing, and I have tasted those things before and didn't like it. I'm not a food expert or nothing though, but that's the way I feel about it. Besides, I'd rather eat everything (veggies, fruit, meat) just like Native Americans ate buffalo as well as greens. To be honest I'm not sure what vegetables they ate actually before settlers showed them how to plant a few things? If thats true I guess.

Besides, how in the world do you live without sushi? Thats madness!
Next

Return to General Chat