Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Advanced: Colorful Typography Poster

Lately one of my favorite things to incorporate in my artwork is typography. I can’t say as decent as most designers out there, but I do like adding words and manipulating them in a way to give the piece more meaning and definition. In this tutorial, I’ll be taking you through a walk through of how I created this poster I made for someone special as long as showing a few techniques that I used to create this piece and other pieces that I have made in my graphics career.

The Concept:
I first saw a graphic piece on Flickr one day and it basically had a heart with a bunch of words filling it. From there I got inspired to do my own version by using the name of that special person and then making a heart from the words that describe her or my feelings about her. Along with just the typography, I’d also put images that describes her personality and finally capture it as what I see in my heart.

The background simply consists a gradient using a yellow-light blue-dark blue color scheme. As you can see, I made the center to be light to give hint that the center will be the main focus of the piece. I found a stock of a sky that filled the vertical area well and set that to soft light while masking a few parts that I didn’t like (mainly the edges of the piece since I wanted to have some parts faded out and other parts more prominent).

Here I began creating the main focus of the piece which is the typography part. In terms of design difficulty, all I had to do was make a heart shape and adding a gradient and stroke to it, and then I began filling in adjectives and adverbs.
The hardest part of this was actually coming up with the words that I felt, as well as wording and placing them in a way that the words would fit inside the heart shape. In addition to just having text, I experimented with different opacities to make some words more prominent and kind of give the eye a tease of jumping back and forth between what words pop out.

In this step, I simply added embellishments by finding stocks of flowers, and leaves to surround the heart to give it background of some sort. By simply masking parts I don’t need and rearranging layers, I can make the heart look like it’s been enraptured in the foliage.

I brought in more stocks in particularly a lion, parrot, and a lime to give the piece more color, and different depths of photomanipulation. Again, I masked out parts that shouldn’t be shown, and in addition, I found that using the old “Duplicating the layer and giving it a blur and setting it to soft light/hard light” to be quite useful in making the pictures more vivid.
Other than that adjustment, all the pictures so far are on normal blending mode since I didn’t want the stocks to blend with the blue background.

I begin to add details by adding some splatters, and some inkblots stocks that I’ve had. I wanted to add more depth into the piece and so one way to do that is to simply give objects in the scene a shadow to show that there is a distinction between that object the background.
You can use either the “Drop Shadow” option within the Blending Options of the layer OR what I do is add my own shadows by making a new layer behind the object that I want to add a shadow to and brush behind the objects with a “Soft Round Brush” with black and played around with the opacity of the layer and erased any unnecessary bits that didn’t flow with the piece.

Now I began to add more to the piece by adding a polaroid background behind the heart and more splatters. I introduced some more text on the bottom of the polaroid by choosing a font and setting the opacity down. The splatters were simple to integrate as they were on white background and so I set the blending mode of them to multiply to show the splatter, and the white background is simply gone.

A technique (if you want to call it that) that I started to use was making lines and bars of different colors and masking them with textured brushes to give a faded out look. It works well in abstract and grungy pieces and doesn’t make the piece harsh by having the masked parts.
As you can see below, all you need to do to make these type of lines is to have shape/layer of anything, and give it a layer mask and use a textured brush to mask some parts of it away.

As we get closer to the end, I decided that the piece needed some adjustment layers to bring up the colors and make the color brighter. I added a Curves layer, and some Gradient Maps and set them to soft light.
In addition, I added scanlines to give the background some texture. Scanlines are simply just patterns and I filled the background with it. Below is a step by step process of how to create scanlines fast.

To top the piece off, I added some “Light Flares” to the piece to give lighting and more color. You’ll find these among a lot of graphic pieces since they are quite popular and they do add more to the piece in terms of effects.
By simply making a new layer and using soft brushes of different colors, set the layer to screen or linear dodge, and notice how they add more color and lighting to a piece.

Conclusion:
Source: http://creative-le.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-colorful-typography-poster/