<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Use iphone 2g or 3g without data plan?

Well since I am waiting until oct/nov to get a new phone, and my current phone is starting to drive me nuts I was thinking about maybe buying a cheap 2G or even 3G iphone off ebay just to have something different until then and I was wondering if it is possible to use one without having to pay for the data plan? Like can I jailbreak it or use a fake APN or something and then be able to use the sim out of my current ATT regular phone?
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 pm

If the phone is unlocked, you can use any sim in it. I'm not sure about ATT, but when I got my iPhone in Japan, you had to have a special sim card for the iPhone different than the regular sims for that carriers other phones. If it was unlocked they would all be useable though.

Just so you know, there aren't really that many "cheap" unlocked iPhones. You're better off upgrading early and just getting the new iPhone.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Well I don't need an unlocked one, I already have AT&T and I was seeing locked ones to AT&T in the mid-lower 100s. But I guess if the only way to use one without buying the data plan is to buy an unlocked one then I suppose I will just wait.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 pm

1. Buy the iPhone 2G.
2. Jailbreak it.
3. Call AT&T and demand that they block data usage on your cellular device. Tell them that you do not have to legally give them a reason under their privacy policy. If you don't want to be a smart alec, then say because your cousin is spending the night and he just caused 50$ worth of charges on your aunt's phone and you want to protect yourself if he gets your phone in his hands. Do not tell them you have an iPhone or they will not do it even though they must do it under their contract.
4. Put your SIM card in.
5. Enjoy.

Please note that if you get a hold of someone who won't turn off the data function, hang up on them mid-sentence and call again until you get someone who will. They are supposed to do it without question. Don't let them bully you into changing your mind. They want to suck money from you through the online data usage.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:16 pm

I only made the reference to an unlocked one because I don't know how ATT does it.

Softbank in Japan has 2 different kinds of sim cards. You need the "USIM" to work in a locked iPhone. Other phones on Softbank don't use USIMs and their sim cards won't work in an iPhone unless it's unlocked, even though it's still the same company.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

SiXAXiS

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:26 pm

Just a warning, if you do pop a AT&T SIM in it, AT&T checks the phone apn crap (dont know of a loophole) and they will automatically bill you the extra $30.
SiXAXiSMoFo
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:40 pm

SiXAXiS wrote:Just a warning, if you do pop a AT&T SIM in it, AT&T checks the phone apn crap (dont know of a loophole) and they will automatically bill you the extra $30.

You can dispute this, though. They can't legally change your monthly contract at their own will.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:39 am

SiXAXiS wrote:Just a warning, if you do pop a AT&T SIM in it, AT&T checks the phone apn crap (dont know of a loophole) and they will automatically bill you the extra $30.

Yea thats why I was wondering if it's possible to download a fake APN or anything for it. I'd rather not have to dispute it though lol, just wanting a cheap alternative.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:37 pm

They won't do it. Don't be scared.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm shaking in my boots though.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:28 pm

ace_012 wrote:I'm shaking in my boots though.

Well, at least you have your dignity.
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 pm

I have had my fiance unlocked on att for quite some time on an iPhone 3G. They recently sent her a text informing us that they added a plan since they noticed theres an iPhone with no data plan. The only reason I think it happened though is one time when we updated her phone, it just activated without me having to unlock, so I just left it at that. It's worked fine for the past 6 months or so, but I imagine if I did the actual soft unlock, it never would have been an issue. Either way, she was planning on getting the new iPhone and they put her on the unlimited data plan even though it's over, so I guess it worked out in the end.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Use iphone 2g or 3g without data plan?

As for an update on this lol, I never really bought one but my buddy got the 4g or w/e its called so I picked up his 3G, poped my sim card in it to see if it would work (all today) and it worked fine, he had already jailbroken it before now but anywho I've been using it today without any data usage just text messages and wifi, and even though on my ATT account it shows I'm now using a iPhone 3G but the plan still shows my same familytalk nation plan without any changes.

I guess I'll keep using it until they say something without updating it?
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:28 pm

That's basically the same plan I have. You need to download something to disable the data, though. On my iPhone, it would automatically connect through the dataplan whenever I had WiFi turned off. Just make sure it isn't doing that or you'll get a nice, long bill next month.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Well I keep regularly checking the "usage" counter and it's still 0 after today. So download anything and it will disable the data or should I call in?
Next

Return to Apple