<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:43 am

Modded my wii!!!!

For anyone that knows about what's going on with the mod scene...

The mod chips out on the market now are... a little iffy... so I have chosen to hold off buying one at the moment. These leave me with a problem, because I would really like to play backups. Well, that's where the WABmodcheap comes in. I have successfully set it up and am playing backups as I type this (doing 2 things at once, pretty talented eh?). I only have 3 backups at the moment (Red Steel, Warioware, and Wii Play) all of which work.

Happy modding!
<<

stonecoldboy3

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Re: Modded my wii!!!!

brentbizzle wrote:For anyone that knows about what's going on with the mod scene...

The mod chips out on the market now are... a little iffy... so I have chosen to hold off buying one at the moment. These leave me with a problem, because I would really like to play backups. Well, that's where the WABmodcheap comes in. I have successfully set it up and am playing backups as I type this (doing 2 things at once, pretty talented eh?). I only have 3 backups at the moment (Red Steel, Warioware, and Wii Play) all of which work.

Happy modding!
hi go to http://www.wiiso.com/index.php its a good site
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm

sweet! thats awsome i might do that
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:22 am

Well, been using the WABmodcheap loader for a while. Works perfect... but now I want to take it to the next level and be able to play backups in OTHER places, not just within reach of my computer. Been reading up on the Wiifree for a while, and I've decided to take a leap and try it out. It's a fairly cheap solution if you can solder. I will update with pics and more info soon as I get all the materials needed.

EDIT:

I have yet to take pictures, but I have completed my mod. The pic programmer I built cost me less than $10 to make. That includes materials to build 3 of them (first 2 didn't work... i'm stupid). I have 2 chips with code on them, Wiiskas and Wiifree, and a lot of blank chips lying around. Since I have a D2A chip I'm using Wiiskas since it doesn't have any stuttering in the videos like in warioware. Wiifree hasn't fixed the speed issue, but has D2B support. It's a great mod that cost me about $15 when all was said and done. Now I can take my backups on the go.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:19 pm

Parts/stuff needed for basic install:
-PIC microcontroller: 12F629, 12F675 or 12F683 (If you have a non-free email service, you get get FREE "samples" from microchip.com
example of 12F629: Image
-30 awg wire or wire of your choice
-8 pin socket (for external mounts)

Ok, well, first I will tackle the actual installation of the chip. For these chips they use the same installation schematic as the Wiinja.

Just solder those points up with your favorite wire. The numbered pads refer to what pin on the chip they connect to. Use the indent on the chip as a guide. From there you can either do a direct solder of the chip and keep it internal, or do some kind of external mount. Since they are releasing code for these chips constantly, I externally mounted mine. This way I can easily remove the chip to reprogram it with the newest code.

ImageImage

The wire just comes through a gap in the USB area. The chip socket is mounted on a piece of board which is stuck on there with really strong double sided tape (some people drill holes in their Wii to mount the socket. I'm not down with that :lol: ) When using a socket, make sure you wire it up correctly. It also has the indent that the chip has to make pin identification easier.

Now, for programming the chip. You will need a PIC programmer. You can get one of ebay for relatively cheap. Me being impatient did not want to wait, and being cheap, I made my own. There are wiring schematics all over, but this one is the simplest I have found.

Parts list:
-9 pin RS-232 Female connector
-22k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-10k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-2.2k resistor (1/4 or 1/2 watt)
-USB cable (using this to power the programmer
-BS 170 transistor (there's a substitute for this, but I can't remember what it is. Just search for it)
-8 pin socket

*Warning*: Some people say you do not need the transistor. You will need it if you want to reprogram the chip! You can program a chip once without it, but will not be able to update.

I used that to wire mine up. Works like a charm... not pretty, but it works...

After you have made/bought a programmer, you have to program it. Since there's already a nice guide for it here at Wii Xposed, I won't go into details on that.

There you have it. Now you can go with 2 different codes. There is Wiiskas which is at beta 1c right now, but does NOT have D2B support, or Wiifree which supports all chipsets and is CONSTANTLY being updated (twice yesterday and again last night while I was sleeping). Personally I use Wiiskas at the moment. I have a D2A NTSC Wii, and it works perfect for me. It has the speedfix and plays all my backups no problem. Wiifree is still working some bugs out at the moment, but I will soon be switching to Wiifree 100% sometime soon because of the support for it.

Hope this helps.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:29 pm

WABmodcheap

since someone asked me how to do this, I thought I'd post this for anyone else who might be wondering....

Now, you can make the cable however you want. Basically you have 4 solder points on the Wii DVD drive. You can see those points in the picture below. Those points connect to the numbered pin on the parallel port. The green lines are diodes that should be connected. Be careful of the polarity. Here are a couple of example pictures of diodes
Diode 1 or Diode 2.

This picture is modified from another picture that is around... I changed it to reflect the diagram that I used when I made mine. I cannot find the tutorial that uses it now. Here's a picture of how I did it.

I put a 9 pin connection between the computer and the Wii so it would make disconnecting the Wii easier. You can do anything you like. Thats it for the hardware. Software wise you have the program. If you get an error about not being able to open a connection or something along those lines, download and install this driver.

That should be it.
<<

stonecoldboy3

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:02 pm

i got the Wiikey but its not installed yet

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials