Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

I need help, I think I broke my Wii

<<

jamar

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:09 pm

I need help, I think I broke my Wii

Due to something or other my Wii is now very buggy.
First- My Wii settings page is now inaccessible. When I try it gives me an Opera error page stating that "marc://(something)/JP/index01.html is inaccessible".
Second- I can't copy any game saves to my SD card. It gives me an error message that says that a file with the same name already exists on the SD card, despite the SD card being totally blank when I checked it.
Third- I now have duplicate News and Weather channels. The issue is that the second set is non-fuctional- it gives me a "this channel can not be used" error and my only option is to hold down the power button until it shuts down.

If it helps any, the first and third problems happened after I put in an American copy of Big Brain Academy into the Wii. I have a modded Wii and had been playing the Japanese version before. The disc ran an incredibly long update and then the game froze on a black screen when I tried to load it. After that, I noticed the duplicate News and Weather channels.

Is there a solution to this? Or is the only solution a replacement? It mostly still works (everything apart from the issues above).
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:03 am

I think you might have semi-bricked your wii. You are running a Japanese wii correct? The Big Brain Academy had a wii update for North American Wii's but it put it on your Japanese Wii. Different region updates dont work. I dont know of any solutions to fix this but check around, i have heard of other people doing this too.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:15 pm

There are some different region updates that work fine on other region Wii's, but sometimes bad stuff happens. I haven't heard of your SD card situation before, so I don't know what to say there. The Wii settings a duplicate channels I have heard of though. In fact I messed up my NTSC-U Wii after trying to update it using a Japanese game, I think it was the Japanese version of Big Brain Academy. I lost access to my Wii settings just like you have. Just have to wait for a new game from YOUR region with an update on it, and it should fix it. As far as duplicate channels go, I have no idea. I don't think anyone's fixed this problem. Maybe the next game with an update on it will help, who knows. In the future, use the Wii Brick Blocker application. You can find it in our download list here. That will remove updates from games. Also, make sure you can connect your Wii to the internet and keep it up to date. That also helps keep bricks at bay. Good luck to you!
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:18 am

Would formatting your wii help at all?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm

FireFoxx wrote:Would formatting your wii help at all?

From what I've read, a reformat won't fix the channels issue, and I know it doesn't fix the settings one. Although the SD card problem is really weird. I've been browsing several Wii forums since the Wii's release, and I've never come across that problem before. It is possible that reformatting could fix the SD problem, but then what's the point if you can't use your SD card to get save files off first?

For the duplicate channels you can always drag them onto another page so they are out of sight. Wii settings brick you'll just have to wait for an update like I did.
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:08 pm

well look on the bright side... at least your wii works XD
<<

jamar

Post Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:30 am

Thanks for your help, everyone. Yes, I have a Japanese Wii. Does anyone know of any Japanese games with updates on them? I'd rather not have to replace my Wii if possible.

I'm personally not sure about the SD problem either. If anything, that's what I'll have to replace the Wii for since there seems to be no solution for that.

Return to Nintendo Wii/Wii U