Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Nintendo DS Lite + Hacks = Most Efficient Way?

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Nintendo DS Lite + Hacks = Most Efficient Way?

We haven't migrated the NDS forums to our master forum yet, so I'm posting this here. Well, I have recently come into the care of a black Nintendo DS Lite. I've never really been the biggest fan of the DS though, so this is a bit odd for me. As I know nothing about the DS, I'm hoping you guys could assist me in letting me know what options I have in order to get some homebrew crackin on here.

I know the DS doesn't have nearly the same type of homebrew audience as the PSP, so I'm not expecting miracles, but I'd certainly love to never have to pay for any DS games.

What I'm looking for: Hopefully a single-slot solution flash cart that will be able to play GBA + NDS + homebrew. If it is cheaper to get whatever I'd need to only be able to play NDS game backups, then I would do that instead. Good compatibility with different games is a good plus.

Helpz!!

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Mon May 04, 2009 5:49 pm

There's sooo many flash carts for it. I heard they're all about the same, though.
Don't forget about DS homebrew!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Can anybody vouch for this site? http://www.nxpgame.com/r4ds.html

I'm thinking of ordering here fairly soon.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm

I am suspicious of companies that sell these chips in the US.

A few years ago there was a crackdown and apparently it is illegal to import or sell within the us any device that circumvents copy protection.

Still you can try them out if you dare. I will say this...

The R4 is a decent chip but it will not support high capacity SD chips. You don't really need a high capacity chip but it is nice to have. As far as I am concerned you can never have too much memory. Also the R4 chip hasn't had an update in over a year so if any of the newer DS games have been written to not work from a chip you are SOL. The R4 won't work on the new DSi so keep that in mind if you ever get one.

The N5 will support high capacity chips but I don't have one to say much else beyond that.

I would get a card that is reported to work with the new DSi such as the Acekard 2i but I don't know anyone that has such a card so don't take that statement as an endorsement.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 pm

I've been in the DS scene for quite some time. The cheapest and most efficient cards are the DSTT/TTDS and the Acekard 2. The Acekard 2 has more menu features and customization while the DSTT has better build quality and slightly better compatibility. I'm not too sure about GBA homebrew working on DS flashcards (I got in the scene after the GBA scene mostly dies out in favor of the DS scene), but I know GBA games won't work on any Slot-1 flashcard. You'll need a Slot-2 flashcard.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue May 05, 2009 3:47 am

Well I'm almost positive I'll never get any newer models of the Nintendo DS. The only reason I have this one now is because I got it through a friend cheap.

He doesn't have the power cord, so I need a power cord too. I'm trying to find a power cord, a hombrew cart capable of DS games with great compatibility, a 1gb or higher memory card, and something to help transfer from PC to DS like a memory card adapter. If possible, I'd really like this all under $30.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:The only reason I have this one now is because I got it through a friend cheap.
-DarkPacMan77-

You mean you stole it!!!!
And seeing who all owns the DS, you probably stole it from a 10 year old.
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue May 05, 2009 3:35 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:Well I'm almost positive I'll never get any newer models of the Nintendo DS. The only reason I have this one now is because I got it through a friend cheap.

He doesn't have the power cord, so I need a power cord too. I'm trying to find a power cord, a hombrew cart capable of DS games with great compatibility, a 1gb or higher memory card, and something to help transfer from PC to DS like a memory card adapter. If possible, I'd really like this all under $30.

-DarkPacMan77-

Power cord: $5 Link

DSTT: $6 Link (NOTE: You will most likely get a clone or fake DSTT. They work the same as a normal one but you must use an edited version of a firmware or have a pre-killer code firmware. I can send you one if you chose the DSTT)(I also have far more experience with the DSTT than any other flashcard)

Acekard 2: $12 Link (No chance of a clone)(Comes with an adapter)

4 GB MicroSDHC: $10 Link

(^Comes with an SD adapter too, helpful if you have a SD slot)

MicroSDHC USB reader: $2 Link

(^Only needed if you don't have a SD slot)(^I use this reader)

Also, don't buy any other DSTT at dealextreme than the one in the link I gave you. The others have been to not work at all at times. Also don't get the adapter that comes with the DSTT, it'll fry your Micro SDHC (happened to me twice).
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:31 pm

These links are hot!

I am now debating whether or not I should get an Acekard from here or not.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I can vouch for every link except for the power cord, as I've never needed another. Just look at his refs though, I think you can trust him.

I also suggest anyone who is going to get into the DS scene to get Rominator. It let's you trim your games. It's just a simple click rather than the added confusion of UMDgen v4. DS games are small (128 MB max) and the trimmer can usually shave anywhere from 10-20 MB off. Those trimmed MBs add up fast.

http://www.rominator.net/
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 pm

First of all, I have to say thank you for the links. To be completely and honestly true with you though, I spent about five and a half hours during the day today and researched the Nintendo DS scene and the requirements and history and such, and stumbled across every single link here myself except for the DSTT. And I made some purchases... ;)

I didn't choose the exact model of the Acekard you linked because I found one on that site without the adapter for like 20 cents less lol, so I just got that instead. I also got that exact same power cord and from ebay etc. but for $4.60 instead of $4.75 ;) Lastly, my buddy is going to steal a 2gb microSD card for me, so I don't need to buy one of those ;)

I love being cheap.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 pm

Hey, whatever works for you man. Good job, and hope you enjoy the DS scene. The one thing the DS scene has in spades over the PSP is the shear amount of translation projects out there. If you're an RPG fan, you're going to be very pleased. Make sure to pick up Jump Ultimate Stars and translate it (I can send the translator if necessary).
<<

TheOriginalToxxy

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm

crait wrote:
DarkPacMan77 wrote:The only reason I have this one now is because I got it through a friend cheap.
-DarkPacMan77-

You mean you stole it!!!!
And seeing who all owns the DS, you probably stole it from a 10 year old.
Hehe.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:48 pm

LOL @ the theft accusations.

First of all, I'm just a fence. My friend stole it from a little Mexican boy at a playground. Not me, but yes, stolen. And by friend, I don't mean some random crackhead or something. It was actually a friend of mine lol. From what he tells me, the kid being Mexican is precisely the reason why he decided to steal it. In either case, it's a $50 black NDS Lite for me.

I wouldn't support the NDS from any retail purchases - ever. That's what the PSP is for ;) I do like the NDS though, but almost all of the games I've played have been very poor. I'm hoping to find some that I like a lot.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Wed May 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I KNEW IT!!!

Lolzerz.

Get Guitar Hero for it. It's kinda good.
Next

Return to Nintendo Wii/Wii U