<<

Jar3tt

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Driver update help

I need help updateing my Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family graphics card. Every link i try some error happens. I try at intels website and it says my computers not validated, or that its missing files or something along those lines.. My video card always crashes during Guild Wars & World Of Warcraft (the only games i have tried) and its makeing me VERY ANGRY!

If anyone can help that would be awesome.

EDIT: im on windows xp home edition sp2
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:06 pm

I played GW for a year or so fine until a month or so after getting Nightfall. In a certain area of the campaign I would get a graphics driver error so I got a new one "GeForce FX 5200". It should be pretty cheap, but it works for me.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 pm

Those chipsets aren't typically used for gaming. I believe that's why you are experiencing these problems. A full listing of your computer specs is recommended in helping to troubleshoot this issue. If you have a store-bought computer, like an HP, Dell, Gateway or other name brand, please tell me the exact model number so I can help assist you. If any of the below things have been changed or upgraded, tell me, and and if it is a "white box" computer (custom built) I would need additional information. Things to include would be:

motherboard brand/ model
RAM type/ speed
what exact graphics chipset your motherboard has
processor brand/ model
power supply brand/ model

I believe you may have a slightly dated computer that might not be powerful enough to run GW and WoW nicely without spending a little money for improvements. If you let me know the information that I requested above, I'll be glad to help you choose new parts to upgrade to and explain how to install them if you need.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

Jar3tt

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Yeah, my mom bought me my pc at walmart when i was 10, and i know it is outdated, me and my friend have been looking into upgrading, but all we found was basically me building a new machine haha. I dont wanna spend a huge chunk of money on upgrades though (maybe 3 or 400 dollars)

but anyways... This is my machine, a HP Pavilion a1102n, it has 0 upgrades. You can find it here

Oh, i also have PC Wizard 2008 installed, so if you need any other info, let me know! But both of these games worked 100% fine a year agao, with no problems what so ever. Even on srtest.com my computer meets min. requirements.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:58 pm

Yea you might just need to get a new graphics card, my computer ran the games fine, but all of a sudden it started messing up and it has been fine since.
Mine is a XP SP2 as well.
<<

Jar3tt

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:04 pm

yeah i was previously looking at some, but im not sure what socket type my computer is anymore so il have to check it again lol.

Thats probalby what im gonna end up doing though.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:08 pm

<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:11 pm

You don't need to know what socket your motherboard has in order to buy a new video card ;) Sockets usually refer to the zif socket which your processor is socketed in.

It's probably got a AGP slot, which you will need a AGP video card.

Nvm I just looked, according to that article you only have 3 PCI slots O.o That sucks. Looks like you gotta get a PCI video card if you want a new video card. Try newegg or compusa, there much better than any store, ebay or auction site.

Here is a list of PCI video cards from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... rder=PRICE

The one advent linked to will work for you also ;)
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:41 pm

Since the PCI bus isn't really grand for gaming on, and seeing how you only want to spend $3-400 in upgrades, I will try to come up with an entire new computer for that amount.

-EDIT- Just as DPM figured. You can still build a good entry-level-to-mid gaming rig with future expansion capable of making a VERY powerful computer. I have parts selected that total $311.94 which include a case, power supply, motherboard, hard drive, DVD burner, processor/ heatsink. The motherboard has built in 8100 graphics, can use DDR2 1055 memory, and has a pci 2.0 slot - the newest in PC gaming. It has 1gb of ram and a 250gb 7200RPM hard drive with an AMD Athlon 4600+ dual core processor (2.4ghz dual core). In the future, with that motherboard, you could put a quad core and a newer high end graphics card. The power supply is strong enough to power just about even the most powerful graphics cards out there.

Interested in the links to the parts?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Jar3tt

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 am

yeah, please link me the parts! I'd like to have a new computer anyways-since mine would probably require me to upgrade pretty much everything in the near future anyways. Thanks for everyones help as well too!
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:39 am

Ok, this is the parts list.

DVD Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106072
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103258
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820161198
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148316
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138119
Case+Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811121032

The power supply is powerful enough to run any graphics card on the market pretty much. If you are looking to not upgrade in the future, I could make a budget high-end gaming machine.

Basically, with this setup, the processor is nice and powerful, hard drive is fast, power supply is capable, case is clean, motherboard is amazing for a budget board, and the 1gb of RAM is cheap and stable.
It's easily upgradeable as well. First off, you can overclock the RAM to DDR2 1066 at 5-5-5-15 timings with the motherboard. Second, you can put a quad core AMD processor in there. Third, you can add a top of the line PCI Express 2.0 graphics card in there as well as add more RAM or what not. If you'd be interested in spending more money for a better build, I could alter the list somewhat. The case has free shipping, so it's a steal. It's all $311 minus shipping costs for wherever you live.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:03 am

That's not to bad of a list. Only thing I don't like is the motherboard & case :p But it's still a great build. You might want to get a 120mm fan also, possibly 2, to replace that dinky little ugly 80mm case fan. If you do get a 120mm fan, don't get the clear blue Apevia ones! I ordered 2 of them without really thinking (they were cheap) and I really dislike um. There loud, and can only be powered by a 4-pin molex connector. Meh but there cheap.

Anyways, it's a nice computer. PSU is limited to two sata power connectors, very close together so that sucks. But you can use power adapters, but they restrict airflow unless you get a very short one which you could make since that case has no side window.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:19 am

if you really want to get a awesome graphics card, then get ATI CrossfireX, btw who has the money for that?
but i reccoment ati, i just upgraded to a radeon 7500 and its great.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 am

I'm not going to get into whether Nvidia or ATi is better or not. All I'm going to say is that, right now, Nvidia is much better than ATi. Nearly every game on the market plays better when tested on systems with the same specs while only changing the GPU to test between Nvidia or ATi. If you don't believe me, look up the benchmarks on your own time. I've looked at hundreds upon hundreds of them, so you can just take my word for it. ATi is nice, but Nvidia is better right now - just how AMD is nice, but Intel is better right now. I'm not a fanboy of any company either (maybe Sega...).

I wouldn't recommend ATi Crossfire OR Nvidia SLi. You can get a powerful single card solution that will be just fine without bringing you double the energy cost. The power supply only has 2 sata connectors, but 4-pin to sata connectors are available, so this isn't really a problem one bit. My current high-end computer has only 2 sata connectors and both are in use right now but that certainly isn't a problem at all.

What don't you like about the motherboad and case, ace?

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Well I just don't like the way it looks lol (the case). I know, I know that looks shouldn't have anything to do with it, but I just think it's ugly. For instance, just look at the case I got. That case is just a big black brick, with that ugly 3.5" addon card as an excuse for front usb ports. It has some shiny silver trim and that's it. It also has like no mounting holes for a motherboard. That should matter though, as long as it follows ATX & micro ATX guidelines, but still. I would feel more safe with something a little more versatile. And that measly excuse of a rear case fan. But that's just me. From a technical stand point, it's a great case. From my standpoint, well if I'm spending a dollar or more on something, I want it to look good too. That one just looks generic, I would want something that stands out and is special.

As for the motherboard, well the only reason I would use a micro-atx mobo is if I had to fit the computer in a small space. It just limits the motherboard, sure it has great things like AM2+ support, supports 8GB of ram, onboard video, & PCI-E 2.0, but that's it. I do like the 4x usb headers on it, but it's ugly, and just doesn't have the bells and whistles that I prefer. It only has 2 ram slots, it's cramped, 2 PCI slots, I wouldn't even use the on board video, and did I mention it's ugly? lol, of course all my reasons are from a personal perspective. None of them are really from a technical perspective.

So yea, that's a great motherboard & case, but from a personal perspective I would just want something less uniform, with more bells and whistles. Some e-sata ports, 8 port onboard audio, sexy paintjob, space, tons of expansion slots and what not would be cool.
Next

Return to General Chat