I'm new to this.. PLEASE help!!

<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 pm

I'm new to this.. PLEASE help!!

I don't really know the first thing about downgrading or any other steps that I should do. What I do know is that my PSP is version 2.5 is basically new but I've had it for nearly 2 years.

What I want to do is be able to play gameboy advanced games (Pokemon Diamond/Pearl), n64 games and other game roms with my PSP. I still want to be able to use the internet and so on as well.

Can somebody help walk me through what I need to do step by step?

I'm not trying to be a pain so please don't flame. I just really have no knowledge of how this process works.

Please help, Thanks again!!!! :D
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:33 am

Thanks, I honestly was expecting to get seriously flamed.

So, what size memory card would you advise?

When I upgrade to 2.71 then downgrade to 1.5....

Will it be save on the memory card or on the PSP hard drive?

Will I be able to use the internet or is there so kind of way to use it?

Thanks for the kind response! :D
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:46 am

if you would like to use the internet on your psp...1.5 doesnt have that built into it. So once youve succesfully downgraded to 1.5 you'll want to upgrade to any of the custom firmwares that are 3.03 oe or above.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:55 am

So how exactly does custom firmwares work?

I really don't know a thing about it.....

What exactly is it customizing, what is the differences?
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:04 am

well custom firmware basically combines 1.50 and whichever firmware your choosing like 3.03 or 3.30 or 3.40. So you get the best of both worlds. being able to use the homebrew capabilities of 1.50 as well as using the new features that sony has implemented into the newer firmwares. Theres tons of easy installers around so upgrading to custom firmware is a piece of cake. Personally i prefer using 3.03 oe-c but thats just me. Anyways if your interested just let us know which custom firmware you would like and we'll provide you with an easy installer.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:07 am

What's the difference between them?

Like what's the difference between 3.03, 3.30 or 3.40?

Sorry for asking for so much, but could you detail? Thanks...
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:16 pm

I still got a couple of questions before I can jump in:

- What's the difference between 3.03, 3.30 or 3.40?

- When I upgrade to 2.71 then downgrade to 1.5.... will it be save on the memory card or on the PSP hard drive?
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Please refrain from posting twice in a row and asking the same question in a row, just edit your post.
The difference between the several different custom firmwares(3.03OE,3.10OE,3.30OE,3.40OE), is newer features such as the little camera option under photo, and remote play and all that good stuff. Same at it would be upgrading to a sony firmware cept OE is homebrew friendly. O and its wayy easier to change like the XMB icons and stuff on 3.30/3.40OE then it is on 3.10OE. Just more features really, and you will be able to play newer UMD's. And the psp doesn't technically have a hard drive. It has flash memory. Little small chip inside the psp where everything that comes up when you don't have a mem stick inserted is saved to(such as the XMB icons). So no, the only files that will be on the mem stick when you downgrade and upgrade are the files you put on there necassary to downgrade. All the firmware files will be on the PSP's flash memory(flash memory is like a internal memory card, but with very limited space in the psp's case).
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:56 pm

ace_012 wrote:Please refrain from posting twice in a row and asking the same question in a row, just edit your post.
The difference between the several different custom firmwares(3.03OE,3.10OE,3.30OE,3.40OE), is newer features such as the little camera option under photo, and remote play and all that good stuff. Same at it would be upgrading to a sony firmware cept OE is homebrew friendly. O and its wayy easier to change like the XMB icons and stuff on 3.30/3.40OE then it is on 3.10OE. Just more features really, and you will be able to play newer UMD's. And the psp doesn't technically have a hard drive. It has flash memory. Little small chip inside the psp where everything that comes up when you don't have a mem stick inserted is saved to(such as the XMB icons). So no, the only files that will be on the mem stick when you downgrade and upgrade are the files you put on there necassary to downgrade. All the firmware files will be on the PSP's flash memory(flash memory is like a internal memory card, but with very limited space in the psp's case).

Sorry about that.

So if I wanted toplay all UMD(games & movies), the camera option, the wi-fi Internet, "remote play", the ability to use emulators, and all the best new stuff, I should downgrade to 1.5, then use the 3.40OE homebrew?

Also, I'm getting a new memory stick (1GB or 2GB), I currently have a 256 MB. Would I have to wait till I get my new memory stick or can I just do it now?
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 pm

In a nutshell, yes. If you want all the new feautres, and homebrew at the same time, you should get the 3.40OE-A version firmware(at least in my opinion).
Yep, you can do it all now with your 256mb stick. You will definitly have limited space for emulators and homebrew, but yes, you can.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm going to get the memory stick A.S.A.P!

So besides emulators what else do others add, I've searched but I don't understand the lingo.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:38 pm

You mean what are popular homebrew apps? Well....mmm...try this site: http://dl.qj.net/
And look under the psp section, and there is plenty of apps. I knwo a common thing we do is change the XMB(the icons you see when you first turn on the psp) icons and such. I personally have the TI-92 calculator emulator on my psp to use during class, since it seems everyone always breaks the schools graphing calculators we never have enough for the whole class to use :P . Youd be surprised at some of the stuff you find. There are plenty of plugins too, like to hide the update icon when you put a UMD in and stuff like that.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Pretty good info man.

Another question, so you'd pick what you want and you'd then combine it with the "homebrew" then update the 1.5 version?

What if a new application comes out and I want it can I just simply add it?

Let say I want to add more emulators and a rom or two can I just hook my Psp to my laptop and "drag drop" the emulator and roms directly on to the PSP?
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:38 pm

Homebrew is the term used for all*most* applications made by a non-Sony employee to run on a PSP (the term Homebrew can mean the same for any system, but I am referring directly to a psp when I say it.). So for instance, the most famous N64 emulator (daedulus(sp?)) would be considered a Homebrew Application since it was made by like a non-Sony employee to run on a Sony product. When you downgrade to 1.5 all you have to do is download the emulator program, copy the two folders that will be included with the download to the GAME folder that will be on your memory card and bam. You will be able to select the game option on the psp and select memory card and then just run the program. O and you must also have the .rom files of the games you want to play. But yea, once you downgrade to 1.5 then it will be just drag and drop the files onto the memory card.
<<

Youngstars87

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Okay, now it's all making more sense! So I can drag drop Emulators and Rom's, Movies, Music, pictures, etc...

So the applications, do I need to install them with the firmware 3.40OE-A?

Or can I just install whatever program anytime I want?

I've ordered a 2GB memory stick card and hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday...
Next

Return to PSP Help